Sunday, April 3, 2011

Kel-Tec PF-9 Review

Today I'll be reviewing the double action only Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm pistol.

The model I got has a green OD polymer frame with a blue finished slide. You can also get it stock with a black frame and/or a stainless slide. The weapon comes with 1x single stack magazine and holds 7+1. The reduction in mag size allows for the mag well to be smaller and the overall width of the weapon to be slimmer than the P-11.

At 12.7oz unloaded and just  0.88" in width, the PF-9 is the lightest and most compact commercially available weapon ever chambered for 9mm Luger. A loaded magazine weighs in at 5.5oz, bringing the total ready weight of the weapon up just over one pound at 18.2oz.

The P9 boasts the ability to drift the sights using a small turn of an alan wrench and has an accessory rail. If you shoot low, like I do, you can even shim the sights. The P-11 has none of these boons.

The cons of this weapon system are few, and if you don't have large hands they might be non-existent for you. The magazine will not enter the mag well without a fair degree of force being applied to it unless the mag release button is depressed during insertion of the magazine. If you send your magazines to Kel-Tec they will bevel them for you, eliminating the insertion problem.

Below you can see a factory mag next to a modified magazine. (I wonder if that bare metal can be treated to avoid rust)

The second problem I experienced with this weapon is due to its size. My hands are simply too large for the frame and even with a magazine extension (only grip extenders are available, not anything that offers extra capacity). Kel-Tec also uses a proprietary magazine, so no other magazines can be used. So, it appears I will never comfortably get all three of my control fingers on this weapon at once.

The weapon has a five pound trigger pull vs the P-11's massive nine pound pull. With the P-11 I had no worries carrying the firearm with a round chambered but the PF-9 gives me pause. The loss of capacity on the PF-9 from the P-11, however,  reinforces the need to carry it with a round chambered. A pocket or inside the waistband holster will easily alleviate this problem.

Overall, I am pleased with my switch from the P-11 to the PF-9. Although I can't get my gorilla paws completely on the weapon, the PF-9 simply has the highest concealment factor of any 9mm on the market as of this writing. The loss of 3 rounds from the P-11 to the PF-9 is negligible and the weapon is comfortable and easy to carry. I give the weapon a personal rating of 4/5.

As said by Kel-Tec,"The PF-9 retains the best features from our P-11 and P-3AT pistols combined into the flattest and lightest single stack 9mm configuration ever made."

No comments:

Post a Comment