Sunday, April 3, 2011

Kel-Tec P-11 Review

Today I'll be reviewing the Kel-Tec P-11 9mm pistol.

The P-11 is a decent concealed carry weapon. Chambered in 9mm, it is very thin, at only 1". It is also very light, with an unloaded weight of 14oz. A loaded magazine is a further 6oz, bringing the grand total to 20oz (1.25 pounds).

A double stacked magazine gives the weapon a 10+1 capacity. Fixed front and rear sights leave something to be desired, but when used in extreme close quarters combat, aiming won't be necessary.

I have never had any mechanical problem with this weapon whatsoever. The problems I had with this weapon after I purchased it were mostly a matter of taste.With a nine pound pull and a very slim trigger, I found the firearm to be painful to operate. The trigger grouping is also very far forward and the trigger pull is quite long. I remedied the pain problem by installing a quality, inexpensive trigger shoe offered on the Kel-Tec website, but there's nothing to be done about the location and trigger travel. It was simple and very quick to install. The trigger pull is also very long as the trigger is located quite a good distance forward in the trigger guard. Fat fingers will not fit and apart from a trigger job, there is not a remedy for this.

My other problem with the weapon is it's short grip. I was able to get a grip extension to solve this problem, and twelve round magazines are also available. The gun, unfortunately, also lacks a front rail. While not necessary on a belly gun, I still appreciate the option to choose, even if I choose not to exercise the option.

All in all I would rate this weapon at a 3/5. It has served me quite well and I have no major complaints. I would strongly recommend this weapon for first time owners or for concealed carry. It is inexpensive, relatively accurate, light, and easy to operate.




No comments:

Post a Comment